Friday, November 11

Shaggy Parasols?

When I was mooching around the garden last weekend I came across a group of really large fungi lurking amongst the undergrowth.
I think they are Shaggy Parasol fungi which are classified as a mushrooms.
If my identification is correct then according to Wikipedia it is a choice edible fungi. I have to admit though I'd never be convinced enough that either my identification was correct, or that the Wikipedia information was accurate enough to try eating any.
Even though it is supposedly edible - according again to Wiki - it can cause tummy upsets if it is undercooked or eaten raw and some people are even allergic to cooked specimens.
Anyway Shaggy Parasol or not I will never find out whether I am one of those who it causes to suffer an allergic reaction. I'll let it stay in the garden but there's no way it is ending up on my plate!

15 comments:

  1. Yes, I'd leave them be. If they had received rave reviews it might be different...
    Great photo material though. Love the close-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather your intestines than mine! As Mark says, very nice photos though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't trust my identification skills either, poisonous mushrooms can kill so I'd rather not take the chance. I do like to see fungi though, there's some really weird varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know Mark - even with rave reviews...!

    They're not going anywhere near my intestines Bilbo

    The poisonous ones also have the trick of looking just like an edible variety too Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure I heard once that Wikipedia ws more accurate than the ABC (as in Australian BBC) but then that may reflect more on the ABC than Wikipedia - I think photography subject is probably the best use for those mushies too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm when it comes to eating fungi for me it would have to come with a 110% guarantee Liz. An impossibility!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not willing to test it either;-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have mushroom pooping out too after heavy rain. As you I never try to cook them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We seem to be in good company Diana - so far no-one seems keen on cooking them.

    It's amazing how quickly they grow Malar - I didn't notice these at all before but when I did they were huge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you Sue, lovely looking but not worth the risk! Though some day I'd love to go on a foraging course with someone in the know, and get confident enough to give such things a go...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure that I'd ever be confident enough Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating looking fellows! Mushrooms always freak me out, I can't even eat the grocery store variety. I know..I'm lame, but no..just can't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My lameness is fixed on sea food - I just can't eat anything that resembles an insect or a snail or slug! In fact I couldn't put any seafood in my mouth. I was once presented with a plate of crudities that had a large prawn complete with eyes and whiskers draped over it and I couldn't even eat the salad as it meant looking at the prawn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look magnificent...although I have to admit to being very cautious about mushrooms!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think from other people's comment you are not alone in that Tanya!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment - it is great to hear from you and know that there are people out there actually reading what I write! Come back soon.
(By the way any comments just to promote a commercial site, or any comments not directly linked to the theme of my blog, will be deleted)
I am getting quite a lot of spam. It isnot published and is just deleted. I have stopped sifting through it and just delete any that ends up in my spam folder in one go so I am sorry if one of your messages is deleted accidentally.
Comments to posts over five days old are all moderated.