Cases of manure contamination are still cropping up see here so it's still important to take care when acquiring supplies. This is especially important in areas where Forefront weedkiller is available.
Sunday, March 11
Last week I posted that the frogs had returned to the garden pond. We still have one or two doing what frogs do at this time of year but there doesn't seem to be anything like the number that there usually is - maybe some more are on the way.
Martyn posted that clumps of frog spawn had appeared in the pond. Well as expected the spawn in the photo shown in his post seems to have disappeared so we are assuming that the fish have had a feast. Not to be thwarted the frogs have deposited more spawn but as its chances of survival seems very limited yesterday I decided to try to rescue some and raise some froglets in the safety of an old fish bowl with some water taken from the pond.
When I was teaching in primary school I did this several times successfully - in fact I think our current frogs are maybe descendants of some froglets that escaped from the greenhouse one half term when I brought them home to look after.
I was only going to scoop a small amount from the pond but the clumps are so firmly fixed together that I ended up with far more that I intended. Once the tadpoles have wriggled free I'll have to release some as so many won't be able to live comfortably in the bowl.
Hopefully we'll be able to chart the froggy development.
Posted by Sue Garrett at 7:00 am