In yesterday's post I mentioned that a soup making session was imminent so I thought I would follow this up with confirmation that I did use some of our weekend's harvest to make a batch of soup.
I made a sort of minestrone but without the 'mine' or perhaps the 'strone' i.e. no spaghetti. We had some frozen fresh spaghetti but no dried and I didn't fancy breaking up the fresh. OK I guess that you could say it was just a vegetable soup.
Here is a very quick photo as Martyn was twiddling his spoon ready for his lunch.
As you can see this was accompanied by Martyn's homemade wholemeal rolls so lunch was a joint effort.
My soup was based on a recipe from this website but in the end mine didn't look anything like theirs.
I left out the celery as we didn't have any - I could have put some leeks in as a substitute but didn't.
I also used some of our own frozen tomatoes rather than tinned and I used a can of mixed beans in a tomato sauce - donated by my sister as we didn't have any. The tomato sauce made up for the lack of any from the tomatoes due to not using canned tomatoes. I also added a dash of tomato ketchup as what I thought was tomato puree in the fridge wasn't!
I used what was left - after using some for dinner on Sunday - of a January King cabbage rather than savoy as that was the type of cabbage we harvested at the weekend. I maybe used less than asked for in the recipe as our cabbage was only a small one.
I also didn't use as much stock as I reasoned that the dry spaghetti would have taken up some of the liquid so I used 1.5 litres rather than 2 litres. It was a good move.
So to sum up all we had to add to our weekend harvest was a drop of olive oil, a can of beans, a slurp of ketchup and some vegetable stock.
The recipe claims to serve 4 but there looks to be at least enough for another four helpings - maybe more.