I mentioned a few posts ago that I had started thinning out the summer fruiting raspberries - well at the weekend I actually finished the job.
I've thinned out the canes and tied them all to the support wires. Unfortunately I couldn't find the twine that I thought was in the allotment shed and so had to use the horrible green plastic stuff.
The earliest raspberries Glen Moy are a bit of a disappointment - quite a lot of the canes didn't take and didn't really produce much in the way of fruit. The canes that did grow are rather small and pathetic and not shown in the photo. In spite of this some runners from the few plants that are growing had strayed from the wires and so these have been chopped off and stuck in the ground. I doubt they'll grow but nothing ventured etc.
The mid season - Glen Ample and later - Glen Magna have produced really well. Now that I've cut them back you can really tell where one variety ends and the other starts. The later variety has reddish canes. There is a gap in the row of Glen Magna and again some canes have strayed so I'm going to dig these out and plant them in the gap.
Just in front of the raspberries is the more established strawberry bed. You may remember I gave the plants in this bed a hair cut. The new shoots have really responded well to this and are looking strong and healthy.
I still haven't 'trimmed' the everbearing variety as it is still producing one or two fruits. The problem is getting to them before the slugs do! Can you spot the few strawberries in our latest harvest box.
The plants in the new strawberry bed are determined to reproduce so I will have to have another runner chopping session. I promise I won't plant any!!
By the way if you are interested, Martyn popped a bit of video taken on the plot on his blog here.